The Industrial Arts Building was the second structure added to the campus. Building started on August 28, 1930 with a price tag of $300,000. It opened in 1932.
This building was organized and equipped by Joseph Park, a 1902 Oswego alum and an expert in his field of industrial arts.
Prior to the construction and opening of the Industrial Arts Building, Park originally headed and taught the entire industrial arts curriculum with help from students in the basement of Old Main (now known as Sheldon Hall).
The Industrial Arts Building was later renamed Park Hall in honor of Joseph Park.
Industrial Arts Building, State Teachers College, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1932
Park Hall, State University College of Education
State University of New York, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1965
In 1913, the State Normal School campus moved from the city of Oswego to the current lakeside location following the construction and opening of what is now known as Sheldon Hall. This building was the vision of Isaac Poucher, who had succeeded the founder of the school, Edward Sheldon, as the principal of the Normal School.
After considering several locations for the new building, 27½ acres were purchased along the shores of Lake Ontario. In 1909, the state legislature approved $340,000 in funding for construction to begin using a design by architect Franklin Ware of an H-shaped edifice with two wings and a central section.
This building was the only building on campus until the Industrial Arts Building opened in 1932. At that time, the original building which housed the college became to be known as Old Main.
In 1942, state legislation elevated the institution from a normal school to the degree-granting Oswego State Teachers College.
In 1948, Oswego became one of the State University of New York’s charter members.
Old Main was officially renamed Sheldon Hall during the college’s centennial celebration in 1961.
New Normal School, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1915
State Normal School, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1920
Oswego State Normal School, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1935
State Teachers College, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1942
The building temporarily was closed in 1983 due to expensive upkeep and needed restoration. It was transferred to NYS’s Office of General Services who leased the building to a developer with plans to renovate and convert it into a hotel and conference center. Those plans were not realized and the project eventually shut down in 1991.
Ownership reverted back to SUNY Oswego and the building slowly returned to life under the leadership of current president, Deborah Stanley.
Today, Sheldon Hall houses the offices of Admissions, Development, International Education and Programs and the Children’s Center. The west wing is once again being used for teaching college courses, with the east wing offering student housing.
When initially erected in 1870, the lower story of the City Hall was used as the city jail and the offices of the police department.
The police department is now located across the street at 169 West Second Street in the old Post Office Building, renamed the Conway Municipal Building in tribute to former mayor John Conway.
City Hall & Police Station, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1908
The Oswego City Hall is located at 13 West Oneida Street. Built in 1870, it is constructed of Onondaga limestone, is three stories high and features a Mansard roof with a central clocktower. It was designed by architect Horatio Nelson White and cost the city about $100,000 to build.
Upon completion, it initially housed the city jail and police department offices, the offices of municipal authorities, the board of education and the council chamber.
City Hall, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1906
The Oswego Armory is an historic National Guard armory located at Oswego, New York. It is a brick and stone castle-like structure built during the years from 1906 to 1908. It was designed by architect George L. Heins. The Armory consists of a 2½-story administration building and features a 5-story octagonal tower at the northwest corner.
The Armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
The Armory closed in 2004, and the City of Oswego sold the building to the Oswego YMCA which now utilizes the space for children’s activities and programs.
State Armory, Oswego, N.Y. circa 1910